Morning Sips, Wellness shots, AM mocktails…
Call it what you will, but starting my day off with a wellness ‘sip’ is a routine that sets me up for a productive day.
Why add wellness shots to your morning?
Morning Sips are a chance to start your day with pure ingredients and potent nutrients that stimulate your body and mind! They can help fend off colds, boost your immune system, and provide focus and concentration for busy days.
Disclaimer: (always check with your doctor or healthcare professional if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or taking other medications, before adding these ingredients to your daily routine).
Here are my go-to ingredients and why I like to include them in my ‘sips’:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is a mainstay in most of my sips! I love to include ACV in my morning beverages. It’s great for balancing your blood sugar and contains polyphenols which are antioxidants that can curb cell damage. Its got a strong taste, and can erode dental enamel, so I don’t drink it on its own!
- Cayenne Pepper: Spicy peppers contain capsaicin, which can help control cravings, is said to be gastro-protective, and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cinnamon: Another great choice for morning sips! Cinnamon (like ACV) contains polyphenols and antioxidants protect your body from oxidative damage. It is anti-inflammatory, can help repair tissue, and help your body fight infection. It has also been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Lemon: Lemon juice has immune boosting characteristics! It’s a rich source of Vitamin C, with antibacterial and anti-viral properties. Its perfect for keeping colds away!
- Matcha Green Tea Powder: Matcha is rich in chlorophyll and fiber. It’s also packed with antioxidants in the form of ECGC. Plus, it has been shown to increase concentration.
- Oil of Oregano: A potent-tasting natural antibiotic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. It has also been shown to decrease cholesterol levels.
Those are my go-to ingredients for morning wellness sips. They each do something a little different to benefit overall wellness. I definitely do not recommend mixing all of them together though!
Instead, I try to pick one or two ingredients and mix them each morning according to how I am feeling or what I am hoping to accomplish that day. You can start with one or two ingredients that you already know you like.
Try one of the recipes below and feel free to add to it or change it up, as you find flavors and combinations that appeal to you!
Here are a few of my go-to recipes to get you started. I take one of these in the morning, and sometimes one in the afternoon depending on how I am feeling.
Embrace The Day Sip:
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons of apple or pineapple juice
- 1 Shake of Cayenne pepper (if you are feeling bold) OR 1 Shake of Cinnamon (for a sweeter taste).
(If you can’t make fresh juice in the morning, opt for a low-sugar variety from the grocery store.)
Lemonade ‘Spice’ Sip:
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Water or Coconut Water
- 1 Shake of Cayenne pepper
Oregano Morning Sip
- 2 Tablespoons of Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons of Apple Juice
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- 2 drops of Oil of Oregano
Matcha Green Tea Sip:
- 1 Teaspoon Match Green Tea Powder
- 4 Tablespoons of Water (Hot water works best)
- Mix well.
Basic Wellness Sip Tips: I try to use at least 4 tablespoons of liquid to mix the ingredients in my morning sips. You can certainly add more if you’d like.
Feel free to follow the recipes here or use what you have on hand in the kitchen!
If the lemon juice taste is too strong, use half the amount and replace the other half with water (or with another juice like pineapple, apple, orange, or coconut water).
If you like a sweeter taste for your morning sip, feel free to add a touch of Agave or Honey. Change it up to suit your tastes.
If all else fails (or if I have to rush out the door in a hurry), a shot of Espresso always does the trick!
Let me know what Morning Wellness Sips you’ve tried and what ingredients you love to use!