Today I am sharing a fun recipe for making your own healthy jam/fruit spread.
This recipe came about because our go-to morning meal is typically a few pieces of toast (we love sprouted bread) with jam and of course, coffee.
I had been looking for a low sugar, more natural spread and was really disappointed with the available options. It seemed that most of the products I could find (at our local grocery store, TJ’s and Whole Food’s) had loads of sugar or sugar substitutes in the ingredients. Definitely not what I would call ‘healthy’.
So, I set out to create my own version of jam with reduced sugar, and this is what I came up with! The recipe uses powdered collagen so it adds a little healthy protein too! Enjoy!
Berry Jam/Fruit Spread
- 1 1/2 cup frozen Raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen Blueberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped dates
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 2 scoops Collagen Powder (I use ” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>Vital Proteins brand but there are many collagen brands available)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
You will also need:
- Medium sized pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula (just a heads up: the berries may stain the spoon)
- Glass storage container or something similar (Pyrex containers or Mason jars work well)
If you don’t already have chopped dates, soak 4-5 dates in a bowl of warm water to help soften them while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients. Be sure to drain and discard the water prior to chopping the dates and adding them to the recipe.
- Start by adding the berries and water to a medium sized pan.
- Slowly warm over medium heat.
- As the berries start to heat up, gently separate them them with the wooden spoon or spatula (the idea is to flatten them a bit). As the berries warm up even more, they will break down and squish easier.
- Next add the copped dates to the pan. Heat and continue stirring until everything is combined.
- Lower the heat to low-medium.
- Add in the Chia Seeds and the Vanilla Extract. Mixing further until well combined.
- After about 5 minutes, when everything looks thoroughly mixed and starts to take on a thicker consistency, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool for a few moments then add the collagen powder and mix throughly.
- As it continues to cool, place into a mason jar or other storage container.
- Side Note: I like to use the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (in the Blue top container) or their Marine Collagen (in the Teal top container). Both are unflavored so they are more versatile in the kitchen and will blend easily into most recipes. I have a free shipping link for all orders over $ 50. So check ” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>their website for products and use that discount! 🙂
Store your jam/fruit spread in fridge. It should keep for about a week.
This is a great spread for toast, pita points, crackers etc. We put it on just about anything.
Feel free to change up the fruit selection depending on the season and what types of fruit your family loves!
I hope you’ll try it! Be sure to let me know your thoughts, and any variations you use!