Today I am sharing a fun recipe for making your own healthy jam / fruit spread. With the warmer weather around the corner and fresh berries in season, it’s perfect timing.
I’ve been searching for a low sugar, natural fruit spread and have been really disappointed with the grocery store options.
Most of the products I’ve found, even at the healthier stores, have loads of sugar or sugar substitutes in the ingredients. Definitely not what I would call ‘healthy’.
So, I decided to create my own version of reduced sugar fruit spread. This is what I came up with! The recipe even uses collagen so it adds a little healthy protein too! Enjoy!
Berry Jam/Fruit Spread
- 1 1/2 cup Raspberries
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped dates
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 scoops Collagen Powder
You will also need:
- Medium sized pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula (just a heads up: the berries may stain the spoon)
- Glass storage container or something similar (Pyrex containers or Mason jars work well)
If you don’t already have chopped dates, soak 4-5 dates in a bowl of warm water to help soften them while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients. Be sure to drain and discard the water prior to chopping the dates and adding them to the recipe.
- Start by adding the berries and water to a medium sized pan.
- Slowly warm over medium heat.
- As the berries start to heat up, gently squish them with a wooden spoon or spatula (the idea is to flatten them a bit). As the berries warm up even more, they will break down and squish easier.
- Next add the chopped dates to the pan. Heat and continue stirring until everything is combined.
- Lower the heat to low-medium.
- Add in the Chia Seeds and the Vanilla Extract. Mix until well combined.
- When everything looks thoroughly mixed and starts to take on a thicker consistency (approximately 5 minutes) you can remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool for a few moments then add the collagen powder and mix thoroughly.
- As it continues to cool, place into a mason jar or other storage container.
- I like to use the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (in the Blue top container) or their Marine Collagen (in the Teal top container). Both are unflavored so they are more versatile in the kitchen and blend easily into most recipes.
- Another great option, with low levels of contaminants, lead and chemicals is Perfect Supplements Collagen.
- There are loads of different collagen powders out there, so go with what you like or give Perfect Supplements a try. Each brand also usually runs discounts or has coupons so be sure to check for those.
You can store your fruit spread/jam in fridge, ideally in a glass mason jar. It should keep for about a week.
Feel free to put it on everything!! It’s a great spread for toast, pita points, crackers etc. We even mix it in our cottage cheese.
Make this recipe again and change up the fruit depending on what’s local or what’s in season. Or what type of fruit your family loves!
I hope you’ll try it! Be sure to let me know your thoughts, and any variations you use! Be sure to join us in the Facebook group.